When my friend randomly suggested Blu Ristorante (@BluRistorante) for an Italian dinner while we were shopping in the Yorkville area, I was quite excited yet perplexed. Italian food – specifically pasta is something that I always crave for so I never say nooo. Yet, I was feeling perplexed because I usually do all my research before heading to any restaurants – so I guess this was somewhat of a spontaneous visit? =)
I admit – the second I walked through the doors – the restaurant did give off a bit of a pretentious vibe but our waiter made it go away as soon as he came over and walked us through the menu. He was friendly and ensured our dining experience went smoothly.
Bread to Start:
- The spread that came with the toasty warm bread was quite addictive
Tuna Tartare ($16.00)
- Leek Fondant, Fruffle Aioli and Fingerlinging Potato Chips
- The addition of the fingerlinging potato chips contrasts wonderfully with the tartare, each alternating bite heightens your awareness of the flavours of the tuna
- In terms of the texture of the tartare, it was a bit mushy almost like the texture of a durian fruit
Duck Confit Pasta ($22.00)
- Duck Confit with house made parpadelle, roasted king oyster mushroom and duck demi cream
- The parapdelle, al dente, was deliciously rich in flavour served with juicy duck confit and perfectly cooked oysters
- The pasta was the perfect amount of bite, tossed in a gorgeous duck demi sauce
Grilled Tiger Shrimp ($29.00)
- with Salsa Verde, Frisee, Cherry Tomato Salsa, Grilled Asparagus
- This was my friend’s entrée – she only had good things to say about this dish!
- The coffee flavour was rich in its flavour and bitterness but it was perfectly balanced with the creamy and airy mascarpone
As you can probably imagine, Italian dinners are usually quite rich and this one was no exception but my friend and myself were pretty darn satisfied! I thoroughly enjoyed my tuna tartare, my duck confit parapadelle pasta and finishing off with a creamy yet slightly bitter Tiramisu just topped it off perfectly.
We didn’t run into any particularly problems with the service during our visit. In fact, It’s a great place to bring a date here for a romantic date.