Toben Foods By Design is a company dedicated to providing high quality catering to clientèle in the GTA. Their philosophy behind catering is to gather and use what’s available at the market- very fresh and very seasonal – locally produced. Behind the team of Toben Foods by Design that we met that evening includes Executive Chef & Owner Toben Kochman and the Director of Catering and Product Elana Kochman.
It was my first time attending any sort of class – especially catering so I walked in feeling pretty optimistic and hungry… of course 🙂
We were all given a bottle of Fresh mixed melon & fennel infused with lemonade to sample some summer drinks.
Below are a few fun finger foods we sampled:
A yuzu glazed shrimp with sausage
Braised short ribs on a crispy polenta
Chef Toben demonstrating a few of his techniques during the 2 hour class.
Jerk Seared Tuna and Island Chopped Salad
- mango, watermelon, cucumbers and fresh avocado, fresh mint and basil
- seared ahi tuna was marinated for about 20 to 25 minutes dressed with chilli oil and herbs
A single serving of the tuna salad
Summer Nova Scotia Lobster Salad
- Potatoes, Roasted asparagus, chorizo sausage, sweet corn with roasted onions finished with a romesco (Spanish) sauce
Closer shot of the lobster and potato salad
Seared “AAA” Angus Beef Ribeye Steak and Heirloom Tomato Panzanella Salad
- Ribeye marinated with olive oil and rosemary. The Ribeye is cooked to a perfect medium rare with lots of oyster & shittake mushrooms, onions and tomatoes & Parmesan cheese along with some croutons
A beautiful single portion of the ribeye panzanella salad
Ontario Strawberry-Lemon Shortcakes
- Fresh Lemon Scented Country Biscuits with Tahitian Vanilla Whipped Cream and Fresh Ontario Strawberries
- Banana icing, bruleed banana and a maple bacon with peanut butter sauce drizzled.
The ones behind Toben Foods: Elana Kochman & Toben Kochman
Toben Popcorn to take home!
Never in a million years would I have thought that salads could be so fun and filling to eat. Chef Toben had made some really refined yet simple and classic salads with great presentation. My favourite was the ribeye salad. Everything was executed really well – the finger foods were uber good and tasty. I could have finished so many of the yuzu glazed shrimp!
This meal was complimentary but Foodinthecitytoronto.com remains unbiased in our content.