In today’s world, its hard to resist the temptation of eating out and hitting up all the new hot spots in Toronto’s ever growing food scene. I’m 100% guilty of this as I’m surrounded by all this temptation everyday working 9-5 in the financial district. I can tell you for a fact that it is way too convenient for me to buy a morning Starbucks, head down again to the food court for lunch, followed by an afternoon snack (probably something incredibly unhealthy) and then hitting up a new restaurant for dinner all in one day. Hopefully, all this is going to change for 2018, as my new year’s resolution is to implement a healthier day to day lifestyle. (Yes I know, this is generally everyone’s new year resolution for the first quarter of any given new year haha)
Anyhow, I recently discovered an organic grocery & meal delivery service that allows you to be lazy & healthy at the same time. Fresh City offers customers organic produce, recipe kits and pre-made snacks and breakfast jars for those that are on the go! In this blogpost, I’m going to be sharing with you the snacks, salads and breakfast jars that I’ve tried with Fresh City.
SNACK: CELERY CANOES ($4.50 – 1 Portion)
- Description: This new and improved great Canadian classic uses organic almond butter and delicious dried cranberries to lend itself a refreshingly crisp, yet nutty and sweet taste to the palate.
- Ingredients: celery*, dried cranberries*, almond butter*
SALAD: Peanut Soba ($11.25 – 1 portion)
- Description: Fresh City’s filling and nutritious Peanut Soba Salad is a meal in a jar! Made fresh from scratch. Simply empty the dressing into the jar and shake to mix. Their salad jars are carefully layered and vacuum-sealed to ensure optimum freshness. Ingredients are all organically grown and locally focused.
- Ingredients: 40% buckwheat soba noodles*, carrots*, edamame*, bell pepper*, mung bean sprouts* or pea shoots*, Fresh City’s Peanut Dressing (peanut butter*, sesame oil*, lime juice*, water, garlic powder*, ground ginger*, tamari*, sea salt) green onion*, sesame seeds*, sesame oil*, sea salt
BREAKFAST: English’s Farmer ($8.25 – 1 portion)
- Description: Fresh City’s in-house nutritionist has created an optimal ratio of starches, proteins, fats, and greens to keep your life in balance. Heat up your own craving with their timeless morning meal whereby their sausages are from a Certified Organic farm here in Ontario
- Heating instructions: Remove contents from jar and heat in microwave for 1-2 mins or oven (375F) for 10 to 12 minutes. Please note that re-heating times are approximate and may vary depending on your microwave or oven.
- Ingredients: pinto beans*, Fresh City’s BBQ Sauce (diced Ontario tomatoes*, apple cider vinegar*, maple syrup*, chili powder*, onion powder*, cane sugar*, paprika*, cumin*, sea salt), Ontario maple breakfast pork sausage*, potato*, spinach*, olive oil*, lemon juice*, onion*, dried oregano*, garlic powder*, dried parsley*
Stay tuned for more healthy & organic recipes from Fresh City that I will be sharing in the new year!
Grace, Food in the City Toronto
This meal kit was complimentary but Foodinthecitytoronto.com remains unbiased in our content.