Sushi Couture, opened by Chef Ken (former owner of Japango) is one of my to go places for fresh and quality sushi with a lower price point in the downtown area. Located in The Annex, Sushi Couture may be one of the price-ier sushi places among the many cheaper alternatives in the area. However, I can vouch that Sushi Couture serves the best sushi in The Annex and its totally worth to spend a little bit more $$ just for the freshness and quality.
I have visited Sushi Couture a number of times now and I particularly wanted to blog about my very first experience here when I had ordered their $39 Omakase. For those that don’t know, Omakase is an expression used at sushi restaurants to leave the selection for Chefs. Omakase allows the Chef to be innovative and creative when presenting their selection of dishes. Sushi Couture offers a $39 and a $60 Omakase. Both Omakase requires reservations prior but the $60 Omakase requires a $10 deposit in advance.
COURSE # 1 – Sushi Burger with scallops + Tempura
COURSE # 2 – Sake Sashimi / Kurodai (From Greece) / Oyster Shooter / Butterfish
- The Sea Bream from Greece left a very strong impression – I’m craving it while blogging about it now
- Every sashimi was extremely fresh and literally melted in my mouth!!!
COURSE # 3 – Black Cod
- I love black cod – so it wasn’t a surprise that I inhaled this in a few seconds
- Cooked perfectly – flakey and fairly sweet
COURSE # 4 – NIGIRI – Hamachi / BC Albacore Tuna / Sea Bream (from Japan) / Tempura Unagi
- I ate all of these very slowly so I could savour every bite
- my favourite was the BC Albacore Tuna <3
COURSE # 5 – Shrimp Tempura , Tobiko, Avocado, Spicy Mayo
- This maki wasn’t anything special – in fact I don’t remember eating it all=S
COURSE # 6 – SUSHI COUTURE MAKI – Salmon, Scallop, Tobiko, Spicy Mayo
- Sushi Couture Maki was a highlight for me!
- The scallops on top were seared perfectly leaving a bit of smokiness to it
- The spicy mayo made it VERY flavourful and filling
- Sushi Couture is oh-so-delicious and is a MUST ORDER =)
COURSE # 7 – Deep Fried Banana & Ice cream
I loved my very first Omakase experience and I’m glad I picked sushi couture to set the bar. One thing I want to mention for those interested in Omakase is that there is a bit of waiting time in between each course served. The reason being that the chef wants the customers to savour every bite and really “taste” each course. So if you’re the type of person that enjoy quick meals then you might become really impatient with Omakase! So be prepared to wait =)
Thanks for a memorable Omakase Chef Ken!