Last week, Jess from WhereJessAte (@wherejessate) invited me along to the Goose Island (@gooseisland) Bier Dinner @ the Bier Markt (@BierMarktEsplan) Esplanade Location. This dinner was specially made to showcase the exclusive Canadian availability of Chicago’s Goose Island Honker’s Ale on draught at Bier Markt!
Cocktail to Start
- 1st drink was off to a good start – tasted very similar to a Whiskey Sour 🙂
1) BIER STYLE PAIRING / Honker’s Pale Ale 4.5 % ABV
1) SALT SPRING MUSSELS
- Baked Salt Spring BC Mussels, smoked bacon & aromatics, herbed bread crumbs, beurre blanc
2) BIER STYLE PAIRING / Sofie Belgian Style Farmhouse Ale 6.5% ABV
2) BEET TRIO
- Roasted crimson beet, Cider poached golden beet, & shaved stripe beets, pickled breakfast radish, crisp quinoa croutons, Goat Cheese coulis, red beet vinaigrette
3) 72 HOUR SHORT RIB
- Leffe Brune Abbey Ale braised certified AAA Angus short rib sous-vide, heirloom baby carrots, grilled asparagus spears
4) BIER STYLE PAIRING / Matilda Belgian Style Pale Ale 7% ABV
4) DESSERT CHARCUTERIE
- Milk Chocolate “country pate” strawberry & white peach proscuitto, red velvet “boudin noir”, peach & apple terrine, poached pear, cherry & almond tapenade, chocolate “rye bread” & banana crostini, compressed melon, sweet yogurt
All the Goose Island drinks served that evening paired perfectly with the dishes served at Bier Markt. Starting off with the Honker’s Pale Ale – which was my favourite because it a hint of fruity aroma – Who doesn’t love a fruity beer? The mussels were seasoned so well – the herbed bread crumbs definitely brought more flavour profiles to the dish. My next two favourite beers were the Sofie Belgian Style Farmhouse Ale and the Matilda Belgian Style Pale ale. The Matilda Belgian Style was more memorable because it was a combination of a fruity taste along with a spicy kick. LASTLY, did I mention how memorable the 72 hour short rib – so tender and tasty – it literally fell off the bone!
Thanks Jess for inviting me to this tasting 🙂 Im so glad I got a chance to taste Chicago’s Goose Island Beer – now available at Bier Markt!
This meal was complimentary but Foodinthecitytoronto.com remains unbiased in our content