When it comes to sushi restaurants in the Mississauga area, there are not that many decent places to choose from. Over the years I’ve been disappointed countless times with the sushi being served in the area, whether it be all-you-can eat or just off their regular menu… Thankfully, a friend of mine had introduced me to Hinote Sushi. And ever since then, this hidden gem is one of my favourite sushi restaurants that I can always resort to in Mississauga =]
Hinote Sushi is a very small restaurant located in the plaza at the Mavis Road & Bristol Road intersection. Very clean atmosphere, very comfortable. I never had a problem with the service as our servers were always courteous and patient.
Hinote Sushi ($22.95)
- 16 piece assorted sushi & 6 piece California roll or salmon roll
- Comes with miso soup, green salad and rice
- When the sushi arrived, I was all smiles! – so pretty and colourful
- We were delighted by the freshness, sushi rice was well seasoned
- We opted for the salmon roll – who doesn’t love salmon?! (lol)
Sashimi Dinner ($25.95)
- 20 piece assorted sashimi
- Comes with miso soup, green salad and rice
- The sashimi literally melted in my mouth – very soft, smooth and non fishy
- Hinote is very generous with their portions – these sashimi were sliced into fairly large pieces – 2 bites
Kamikaze Roll ($12.95)
- Spicy Tuna, Tempura Bits & Special Sauce
- Hands Down – This is my all time favourite roll – I always order this – I can honestly say I’ll never get tired of this maki
- This may look a bit saucy but its actually not, the sauce give the maki a nice kick in flavour and extra tastiness
- I also want to point out this roll is HUMONGOUS – Hinote is really generous in portions.
- I would say its at least 1/3 to half the size larger than your average maki (depending what you’re comparing it to…)
This was a complementary salmon teriyaki. I thought the combination of the teriyaki sauce + sesame on the salmon was a bit odd and the batter was a little thick. But yay to free food =] They also serve complementary deep fried banana for dessert if you dine in, a very nice touch.
Although Hinote Sushi may be on the pricier end but I definitely think its money well spent. I’m really tired of being disappointed with the lack of sushi places in Mississauga. I am always confident when it comes to Hinote Sushi – they are always consistent with serving fresh and quality sushi, while being very generous in portions. You can check out their online menu here!
I came across this article that I really want to share with you guys that lists out the 5 restaurants that should definitely be on your restaurants to try for Winterlicious 2012. It just so happens that the 2 restaurants I plan on visiting this Licious Season made it to the list =D YAY!
- $35 Lunch / $45 Dinner
- Located at 66 Wellington Street West
- Their dinner menu overwhelms because everything sounds so yummy – Can’t wait to go in a few days hehe!
- $ 35 Dinner
- Located at 36 Wellington Street East
- $35 Dinner
- Located at 550 Wellington Street West
- Owner Celebrity Chef Scott Conant has topped the charts numerous times with “best new restaurant” with Scarpetta over the years
- Scarpetta is located in New York, Las Vegas, Hollywood, Miami and Toronto
- Signature Dishes: Creamy Polenta & Spaghetti with Tomato & Basil – yupyup! that’s exactly what I’m ordering next week =D
- $35 Dinner
- Located at 38 Welling Street East
- AUBERGE DE POMMIER – Website / Licious Menu
- $25 Lunch / $45 Dinner
- Located at 4150 Yonge Street
- CANOE – Website / Licious Menu
- $25 Lunch / $45 Dinner
- Located at 66 Wellington St W, 54th Floor
Winterlicious (@LiciousTO) officially starts tomorrow, January 27, 2012, and ends on February 9, 2012. Better hurry and make your reservations =D (List of Participating Winterlicious Restaurants Found here}
Here’s a quick post of Jump (O&B’s Restaurant) when I visited them during Summerlicious (@LiciousTO) for dinner. I had a mediocre experience here and don’t get me wrong, the food was pretty good but I didn’t find our particular server interested in serving us. Urgh!
Throughout the course of dinner, our server wasn’t friendly at all, he had a serious look on his face the whole time, he didn’t bother telling us the name of our dishes – I honestly felt intimidated by him, it almost felt like our presence was torturing him. But whatever, I just assumed he was having a rough day- so fine! Almost towards the end of dinner, a group of business men in suits filled up the table next to us – and so our server, whom I thought was incapable of smiling, started off being real friendly and introduced himself, recommending specials, making jokes with them – he was a completely different person… It was unbelievable! Urgh! enough about him…
I apologize for venting.
Anyways, Thank god we made reservations for an early dinner so there was still a lot of natural light pouring into the restaurant. The interior is so pretty – very modern, high ceilings, absolutely loved the glass windows everywhere.
Chilled Cantaloupe & Basil Soup
- Soup was served cold, very simple and light – I quite enjoyed this!
Roasted Piri Piri Half Chicken
- Smashed fried new potatoes, sweet roasted cipolline and garlic kale
- Chicken was super juicy, very delectable
- every bite of the chicken was bursting with flavour, loved the fried potatoes
Bavarian Vanilla Cream
- Ontario strawberry compote and dark cherry balsamic
- The vanilla cream was very smooth and soft – I enjoyed it thoroughly
- The strawberry compote was a bit too sweet for me so I tried eating the vanilla cream without the strawberry even though it was surrounded and lightly drizzled ontop (lol)
Will I ever come back?!
I’m not quite sure =S The ambiance and food was perfect but our server honestly ruined my whole dining experience. From reading other reviews, no one else had complained about their server, so I guess I was completely unlucky. l don’t think I would visit soon or voluntarily go unless a bunch of my friends are DYING to go – because it is a bit pricey if you’re not visiting during Licious!
Price: $35 + tax + gratuity
I went to Inakaya a very long time ago with a few friends for dinner. This authentic sake bar is tucked away on Willowdale Avenue, minutes away from Yonge and Finch. The atmosphere of Inakaya is very warm, cozy and inviting. Very small, so it may be best to make reservations. The staff here were really friendly and helpful and had no problems when it came to promoting their specials or recommending us their infamous dishes.
Here’s a shot of the interior. A few tables and seats all around the bar.
Our waitress gave us way too many cute cups for our sake (lol) =D
- This was my first ever table cooking experience – thought it was really neat
- liked how you can cook the meat to your liking
- The beef served was very thick and juicy =]
I couldn’t stop smiling while we were waiting for the beef to finish cooking =D half way done!!!
Rock n’ Roll
- A fried roll with avocado, shrimp tempura, salmon and lightly drizzled with eel sauce
- The rock n roll was simply delicious. and tasty. very scrumptious
- 6 tuna nigiri with 8 assorted sushi pieces that includes unagi, salmon roe, salmon, tuna, toro, Shrimp, Ikura
- Honestly, the sushi here was super fresh, everything was made with great attention to detail and impeccably executed
- My favourite was the toro <3
- Butter and olive oil sauteed sliced onion, blanched zucchini rolled , torched sliced certified Angus beef drizzled in teriyaki sauce and thinly slice scallions in Volcano fire
- Such a beautiful presentation
- My eyes were literally drooling at the sight of this
- The roll was humongous and filled me up pretty quickly - very tasty and meaty
Spicy Scallop Roll
- I love my spicy salmon / spicy tuna / spicy scallop rolls – and this was definitely one of the best ones I’ve had – not too spicy
- It’s so rare to find a places that serve fresh sashimi, yummy rolls and delicious cooked food!
Grilled Atka Mackeral (Hokke)
- Lastly, we ordered a grilled mackeral – really fresh, shining under the light
- We lightly sprinkled lemon across the mackeral to make it even more flavourful =D
Everything at Inakaya had exceeded my expectations. The friendly service, the cozy atmosphere, the freshness and variety of their sushi’s and the smallest attention to detail - had really made an impression on me. I love this place and thoroughly enjoyed my whole experience here!!